Dear Parents and Students:
With August nearing its end, we are fully energized as we enter our fourteenth year, busy enrolling new students, refurbishing classrooms and creating an atmosphere where vocations may flourish. We all have much to look forward to this coming school year. Please visit our Facebook page/website to see all the good work that has been done at St. Martin’s this summer!
* Enclosed you will find a School Handbook and Calendar as well as a Handbook Signature and Textbook Request Card. Please look over the calendar and handbook (located in the pages behind the calendar). The handbook contains a great deal of helpful information regarding school policies. It is mandatory that your oldest child in the school returns the Signature Card on the first day of school signed by both parents and all students in the family. The signatures indicate that you all have read the handbook and are aware of the school policies. Please review the technology/cell phone policies on page 9 of the handbook.
* The first day of school for grades 1-8 is Wednesday, September 6, 2017. Please note that there will be a 12:00 pm dismissal. The first day of classes for Pre-K and Kindergarten is Monday, September 11, 2017.
* As a reminder, lunch will be provided for all students in grades Pre-K through 5 through the generous donations of benefactors of St. Martin Marianist School. Children in grades 6, 7 and 8 will bring their lunch with them to school. Milk and ice water will be provided for all students.
* Please be sure students complete their summer work. Summer reading, as well as the Summer Bridge Activities Book (for kindergarten students and those through grade five this September), should be completed before the first day of school. Teachers of students in grades kindergarten through five will collect each child’s Summer Bridge Activities Book and reading log soon after school begins. Junior High students will be tested on their summer reading shortly after school begins.
* New students and any returning students in need of additional uniform pieces or school shoes should be sure to get to Ideal Uniform Company if they haven’t done so already. All students Pre-K through 8, must be in full school uniform on the first day of school.
* An Emergency Contact Information Form is enclosed. The eldest child of each returning family must return a completed Form to the school on the first day of school. Any new family whose emergency contact names and/or numbers have changed must provide us with a new form also. Please note: No child will be permitted to attend the After-School Program without an Emergency Contact Information Form on file. Each trimester, students in grades 6 through 8 must sign up to participate in an After-School club, sport or activity to attend the After-School Program. The SMART Program begins Monday, September 11, 2017. The program ends at 5:00 pm. All students must be picked up no later than 5:15 pm daily.
* Triumph of the Cross Prayer Service will be held Thursday, September 14 at 9:30 AM at Kellenberg Memorial High School for grades 1-8. Parents are welcome to attend.
* Meet the Teachers Night is Thursday, September 14, for parents of students in grades 1-8,
at 7:00 PM. We are looking forward to seeing you!
* Our Back to School Mass and BBQ will be Saturday, September 23, beginning with the 5:00 PM Mass. This will be the Opening Mass celebrating Marianist Education at St. Martin’s. The BBQ will follow Mass. Keep an eye on your mail for your family’s invitation! We look forward to celebrating the Saint Martin de Porres Marianist School community.
* In order to ensure the safety of our students, I ask that you please be aware of and follow the student arrival and drop-off procedures as explained below. Please note that students must enter the building by 8:15 AM; AFTER 8:15 AM, students must enter through the front door and sign in to receive a LATE PASS to homeroom.
7:45-8:15AM – All students arriving by car will be dropped off in front of St. Martha’s Church or in the funeral home parking lot and will enter St. Martin de Porres Marianist School through the St. Martha’s Entrance (located next to the Sacred Heart Commons). Please be aware that cars may not enter the school parking lot from 7:30- 8:45AM. Only school buses may enter the parking lot at that time.
8:15 AM – students will enter through the front entrance and go to the main office to receive a late pass.
3:30 PM – Parents must park in the St. Marta’s Church parking lot or in the funeral home parking lot and walk to St. Martha’s Entrance (located next to the Sacred Heart Commons) to pick up their students. Please avoid parking on Greengrove Avenue.
Only buses are permitted to park in front of the building and in the parking lot from 3:00- 4:00PM.
* Visit our school website, www.stmartinmarianist.org, often! There is a great deal of information that parents will find helpful there, and we update it often! By Tuesday, September 5, our website will list each homeroom. Log onto the website that day to determine your child’s homeroom and teacher.
* In order to receive the lowest tuition rate NEXT September, 2018, please be aware that any family who is a parishioner of St. Martha’s, Our Lady of Loretto or St. Ladislaus must complete their donations to their church by December 31, 2017 and parish letters will be due in to the Main Office by February 1, 2018.
As always, if you have any questions, please call the Main Office. Your assistance with all the above is very much needed and appreciated. May the good Lord bless you and your family during the remainder of the summer.
Spread the Faith,
Mr. John Holian